As many of you probably already know, Super Smash Brothers 4 (SSB4) is just around the corner and myself, Luke, and some of the Savannah Gaymers have already started playing Brawl and Project M in anticipation for the new game. Overall, based on what I’ve seen of SSB4, I’m quite impressed with the way things are going and I’m all aboard the hype train. Tripping is removed, Little Mac is confirmed, and Namco, a company that actually has experience developing fighting games, is helping out with the balancing of characters. That being said, there are still some features, characters, etc. that I hope make it into the game. In no particular order, here is my top 10 wishlist for SSB4:
1) I want the speed of SSB4 to be somewhere in between Melee and Brawl. In general, I prefer Brawl’s floaty mind game-oriented playstyle to Melee’s fast-paced combo-oriented playstyle for the same reason I don’t like the VS fighting games too much (Marvel vs Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK, etc), there is too much stuff going on at once and I feel the gameplay devolves into whoever combos off first wins. That being said, I get that Brawl took it too far in the opposite extreme. The hit stuns on moves are too short, and the move animations are so long to the point where you can shield almost any move and hit the attacking character back before they are even done with their move’s animation. I would be perfectly happy with a medium between the two.
2) I want advanced techniques toned a bit from Melee. I don’t want to dumb down the competitive scene in the same way Brawl did, but I will say that the amount of hard to master but essential techniques in Melee was ridiculous. I remember when Josh and I were practicing Melee before Brawl came out and Josh was trying to learn to wavedash (he mained Gannondorf so it was essential for his character). At one point, Josh got frustrated and said something around the lines of, “Dammit! I don’t have the fairy fingers for this!”. And that’s my point, you shouldn’t need an 18 dexterity to be competitive in smash. Again, a happy medium between Brawl and Melee’s advanced techniques would be amazing.
3) I want alternate costumes for characters. Sakurai already stated that he doesn’t believe in alternate costumes since he wants all characters to be in their most iconic state, so the chances of this happening are small. Still though, it would be pretty awesome to have Dr. Mario as an alternate costume for Mario, or something like Dry Bowser as an alternate costume for Bowser.
4) I want Jigglypuff to return. This is a pretty obvious want of mine since I love her with all my heart. I wasn’t worried about her not returning at first, considering she’s been in every game since the original on 64, however, I recently discovered that she almost didn’t make it into Brawl (which explains why she was so bad in that game). Jigglypuff is basically irrelevant to Pokemon at this point and the only reason why she remains popular is because of Smash. Regardless, that bitch better make it back in AND she better have that sunhat so I can continue playing as Monica Beverly Hillz.
While we’re on the subject, can Jiggly please have back her old Rest move from Melee back so she can do things like this again? Thx. (Editor’s Note: Video is optimally watched without sound.)
5) I want a revamp of Pokemon Trainer. At first, Pokemon Trainer seemed like a cool character concept. He controlled three different pokemon that can be switched out mid-game and each pokemon got fatigued after fighting for a while in order to force the trainer to switch pokemon. It was great in theory, but the reality was that the fatigue feature along with the long transformation time between pokemon made the character almost unplayable. If you would’ve asked me my thoughts on Pokemon Trainer a couple of weeks ago, I would’ve said he should just be removed entirely, but after playing Project M recently, I think it would be a shame to remove Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizad from the roster. I don’t think they should necessarily be split up into 3 different characters like in Project M since that would take up way too many spots. I just want Pokemon Trainer to be more like Zelda/Shiek except with three different characters instead of two. If Pokemon Trainer is removed from SSB4, then can we at least get Mewtwo back? Thx.
6) I want Sakurai to continue to de-clone certain characters. Brawl made some huge steps here in trying to make characters like Falco significantly different from Fox, but overall there were still too many clones in Brawl. Why Gannondorf and Captain Falcon still had the same basic moveset in Brawl was beyond me. We know that Toon Link is confirmed for SSB4, so hopefully, they took some steps to make him something more than a faster, better, Link.
7) I don’t want Chrom on the SBB4 roster. Fire Emblem: Awakening is the most popular Fire Emblem to date and basically propelled the franchise into mainstream popularity, so I expect there to be some sort of Awakening representative on the roster, I just don’t want it to be Chrom. Don’t get me wrong, Chrom is a good character, but I worry that he would replace Ike on the roster, and Ike is a unique character who feels and plays very differently from Marth. Furthermore, Chrom almost seems like he’s in between Marth and Ike in terms of power and fighting style, so it would be weird for him to be in the game with Ike’s moveset. Technically, they could all three appear in SBB4, but I would have a problem with all of the Fire Emblem representatives being blue haired swordsman. If they were to have an Awakening representative in SBB4, I would perfer it to be Robin (Avatar, Myunit). I think the blend of sword fighting and magic would be refreshing plus Robin can be played as either gender similar to Wii Fit Trainer. If that doesn’t work, can we at least get a popular character who isn’t a lord, like Tharja? Also, I want a Lucina alternate costume for Marth.
8) I want SBB4 to have decent online play. Let’s face it, Brawl’s online play was awful. Matchmaking took forever, it was laggy, and you could only play timed matches. I would literally kill for SBB4 to have ranked online matchmaking and options to play things like 1v1 4 stock matches with an 8 minute time limit.
9) I want two specific stages to return. The first is Dreamland 64. It’s basically the perfect stage: simple, balanced, great music, and with a low-impact stage hazard. It has been my favorite stage since 64 and I’m sad that it didn’t make it into Brawl. The second stage I want to see returned is a little bit more controversial. Story time! Back at EA, I was playing in the finals of a doubles tournament. It was me (playing Jigglypuff) and I think Ben (playing Fox) vs the developer who won our singles tournament a few weeks before (playing Marth) and his developer friend (playing Sheik?). We win the first round and lose the second round because the match came down to Jigglypuff vs. Marth and that’s a bad matchup for me (Jiggly needs to get in close which is hard since Marth wields a long sword). We’re about to play the final match and it’s time for Ben and I to choose a stage. We decide to go for the gambit and choose a stage where Jiggy might be able to maneuver around Marth. What stage did we choose? POKE MUTHAFUCKING FLOATS! What resulted was one of the most hilarious and epic games of smash I have ever played in my life. We still lost that round (barely), but Poke Floats still has my pick for the best moving stage of all time and I want it to return.
10) I want the following characters to be added to the roster even though most of these will never happen: Birdo, Daisy, Dixie Kong, and Geno (from Super Mario RPG).
There you have it. Those are the ten (or more) things I want to see make it into SSB4. Will I still buy the game on release date even if nothing on this list actually makes it into the game?